In this how-to, you will build your first application and deploy it to the cloud.
This how-to will teach you how to do the following:
- Create an app in Mendix
- Create overview and detail pages
- Deploy an app with Mendix
Before starting with this how-to, make sure you have completed the following prerequisites:
3 Creating a Collaboration Project
With Mendix, you can manage requirements, build apps with version control, and deploy the apps into the cloud. Normally you would use multiple different environments for this, but Mendix is truly your one-stop-shop for enterprise application development.
To manage your applications from idea to deployment, we use projects. To create a collaboration project, follow these steps:
- Go to http://home.mendix.com/.
- Click CREATE NEW APP.
- You should now choose your starting point, so select Blue Wave as a theme:
- Click USE THIS THEME:
- Enter a name for your new app, then click CREATE APP:
You’ve created your first project! You can now invite co-workers, share ideas, manage requirements, and deploy and monitor your app. Version control is still empty, but we’ll fix that in a later section.
4 Creating a Basic Data Layer
To create a basic data layer, follow these steps:
- Click Edit in Modeler to open your project in the Modeler:
- Expand the MyFirstModule module in the Project Explorer on the left side of the Modeler, and then double-click Domain Model, which will open the domain model document on the right side:
- Create this domain model: For more information on creating an entity, see How to Create a Basic Data Layer.
5 Creating Overview and Detail Pages
To create overview and detail pages, follow these steps:
- Create an overview and detail page to manage the objects of the Customer entity. Your overview page should look like this: Your detail page should look like this: For more information on creating a page, see How to Create Your Overviw and Detail Pages.
- Create an overview and detail page to manage objects of the Order entity. Your overview page should look like this: Your detail page should look like this:
6 Creating Menu Items
To create menu items, follow these steps:
- Create a menu item to access the customer overview page. For more information on creating menu items, see How to Set Up the Navigation Structure.
- Create a menu item to access the order overview page.
7 Deploying an App to the Cloud
To deploy an app to the cloud, follow these steps:
- Click the save all icon (or press Ctrl+Shift+S) to save all files:
- Click Run in Sandbox to deploy the app to the cloud. The Modeler automatically commits the changes to the Team Server (for version control):
- When the deployment process is complete, click View App to open the app in your browser:
8 Related Content
- Build a Simple HRM App 1: Create, Manage, and Deploy the App
- Build a Simple HRM App 2: Perform the First Steps to Build a Rich GUI
- Build a Simple HRM App 3: Show Related Data in the GUI
- Build a Simple HRM App 4: Enrich the GUI with Filter Options
- Build a Simple HRM App 5: Smarten Up Your App with Business Logic
- Test Microflows Using the UnitTesting Module