When setting up a Mendix application on-premise, you can set up advanced monitoring with New Relic. This works with both Windows and Linux deployments.
- Set up a trial account with New Relic at https://newrelic.com/
- Follow the New Relic for Java installation here: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/java-agent/installation/java-agent-manual-installation
- As noted in the guide in step 2: unzip the newrelic.zip into a directory that the user of the Mendix process has access to (i.e. the user home directory)
- Check the newrelic.yml file in the unzipped newrelic directory, make sure you read through the settings and that you understand the security implications
- Follow the Linux / Windows specific steps below to complete the installation
Linux specific steps
- Add ‘-javaagent:/PATH/TO/NEWRELIC.JAR’ to your java options in the m2ee.yaml file. Make sure to replace the path to the actual path of the newrelic.jar.
The configuration section in m2ee.yaml should look something like this:
javaopts: [ "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8", "-XX:MaxPermSize=64M", "-Xmx256M", "-Xms256M", "-Djava.io.tmpdir=/path/to/project/data/tmp", "-javaagent:/home/mendix-user/newrelic/newrelic.jar", ]
Windows specific steps
- Add ‘-javaagent:/PATH/TO/NEWRELIC.JAR’ to your java arguments in the Windows Service Console