This how-to takes you through the basics of development in Mendix and teaches you how to build a simple human resources management (HRM) app.
This how-to will teach you how to do the following:
- Create an app
- Manage an app
- Deploy an app
Before starting with this how-to, make sure you have completed the following prerequisite:
- Create a Mendix account
3 Creating Your App
To create your app, follow these steps:
Go to the Mendix Developer Portal and log in if you are not already logged in.The Mendix Developer Portal is the central starting point for using, sharing, and building apps.
In the Mendix Developer Portal, click Create App:
On the Getting Started tab, select the Build a Simple HRM Tutorial app.
Click Use this app, enter the name of your application, and click Create App:
Your app is now being created! When it is ready, you will land on the Buzz page for your app, where you can see and share ideas as well as collaborate with your team.In the Team section on the right side of the screen, you can see your team and invite colleagues to join the app project.
4 Downloading the Desktop Modeler and Editing Your App
To edit your app, follow these steps:
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest Desktop Modeler here and installed it. Note that this tutorial was created with Mendix Desktop Modeler 7.2.0.
You can open your app from the My Apps overview in the Desktop Modeler. You can also go back to the Buzz page in the Mendix Developer Portal and click Edit App to open your app in the Desktop Modeler.
When your app is loaded into the Desktop Modeler, you will find the Project Explorer pane on the left side. This pane lists all of the developer content of your app. You can add pages, logic, and other content here.
5 Deploying Your App
To deploy your app to the Mendix Cloud so that others can view and test it, follow these steps:
Click Run to deploy your app to a Free App deployment environment:
Click View to open the app in your browser:
Excellent! Check out the app you just deployed.
Great work. Now you can move on to the second how-to for creating a simple HRM app: Build a Simple HRM Step App 2: Perform the First Steps in Building a Rich GUI.
6 Related Content
- Build a Simple HRM App Step 2: Perform the First Steps in Building a Rich GUI
- Build a Simple HRM App Step 3: Show Related Data in the GUI
- Build a Simple HRM App Step 4: Enrich the GUI with Filter Options
- Build a Simple HRM App Step 5: Smarten Up Your App with Business Logic
- Create and Deploy Your First App
- Testing Microflows Using the UnitTesting Module
- How to Manage Sprints and Stories