In this how-to, you will first deploy, view, and inspect some details of the Mendix Logistics IoT app. Then you will connect new app pages in the app.
This how-to will teach you how to do the following:
- Connect app pages
Before starting with this how-to, make sure you have completed the following prerequisite:
- Create a new instance of the Build a Logistics IoT app on the Mendix platform and open it in the Desktop Modeler
3 Deploying and Viewing the Logistics IoT App
Start by running the application so that you can experience how the app looks. You will see how you can switch between your workspace and the completed example app.
To deploy and view the app, follow these steps:
In the Modeler, click Run Locally and confirm to create a new database. Click View App to see the app in your browser.
The app starts on the homepage in the workspace section, which is an overview of all the shipments.
Click the menu button in the top-right corner of the app to open the side menu. From here, you can navigate to other pages where you can edit the app data.
Select Shipments and click Edit on the preconfigured shipment, which will bring you to the Shipment form. Here you can edit the details about the shipment.
On the right side of the screen, click the toggle with the user icon. Switch to the Tutorial_Completed section of the app, which contains the completed pages for you to use as a reference. Both Tutorial_Completed and Tutorial_Workspace have their own data set.
Click a container from the shipment overview to inspect the page with the container sensor details. This is the page that you are going to build in this tutorial.
4 Connecting App Pages (Step 1)
In this section, you are going to observe the app in the development environment. You will make your first change, which will enable you to view the live details of the shipments listed on the shipments overview.
To connect an app page, follow these steps:
- In the Tutorial_Workspace module, open Step 1 - Connect App Pages > Homepage. This is the homepage of the app that you will be expanding and improving.
- Inspect how this page is built. Notice that there is a list view element that represents the overview of the shipments. On the right there is a menu, which takes you to the pages where you can configure and edit the shipment details, sensor data, and cloud platform configuration.
- The button with the > icon (which you can find in the list view) is not connected to a page, so right-click the button and select Edit action > Show a page.
- In the Select page dialog box, select the Shipment_Detail page (which has already been prepared for you).
- Click Show to display the Shipment_Detail page and then OK to inspect the page to which the > button is directing.
- Save the changes, click Run Locally to deploy the app, then click View App to view the app in your browser.
- Make sure you are switched back to the Tutorial_Workspace user (use the user toggle on the right side of the screen for this).
- Inspect how this Shipment_Detail page looks in the browser by clicking the > button of the available shipment.
Great! You’ve made your first change to the app. The Shipment_Detail page looks good, but it really needs some data. So, move on to How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 2: Configure the Sensor Data Subscription and get some data pushed over from an IoT server to the app.
5 Related Content
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 2: Configure the Sensor Data Subscription
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 3: Handle the Sensor Data
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 4: Add Another Data Dimension
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 5: Create Alerts
- How to Build a Logistics IoT App Step 6: Expand the IoT App Tracking