In this how-to, you will create and prepare a new project, module, and domain model. This is the first how-to in the series for creating a to-do app in 20 minutes using the Mendix Mobile Quick Starter app.
This how-to will teach you how to do the following:
- Create a project that will speed up and simplify your mobile app development
Before starting this how-to, make sure you have completed the following prerequisite:
- Download Mendix Desktop Modeler 7.3 or later
3 Creating and Preparing a New Project
The basis for the to-do app is the Mobile Quick Starter App. Follow these steps to create a new app with the Mobile Quick Starter App:
- Open the Mendix Desktop Modeler and log in.
- Click New App.
- Go to the Tutorials tab.
- Click Build a Mobile ToDo app.
- Click Use this starting point >.
- Enter the app details and click Create app.
- Open the Security settings of your project.
- Switch the Securiy level to Off and click OK.
Switching the security level to Off is done for fast development. Make sure you change it back to Production and configure the security of your app when you are going to use the app in a production environment.
4 Creating a New Module
The development of your app stays comprehensible when its functionality is split into separate modules. Follow these steps to create a new module where you can add the to-do implementation of your app:
- Right-click your ProjectName in the Project Explorer.
- Click Add module and give it the name ToDo.
5 Creating the Domain Model
The domain model is a data model that describes the information in your application domain in an abstract way. The domain model for the to-do app will be pretty simple. It’ll contain one entity with three attributes. Follow these steps to create the entity and attributes:
- Open the Domain Model in the ToDo module.
- Add a new Entity to the Domain Model.
- Rename the entity to ToDo.
- Add the following three attributes:
- Description (String)
- DueDate (Date and time)
- Completed (Boolean with default value False)
For the next step in this series, move on to How to Build a Mobile To-Do App Step 2: Create the Pages.
6 Related Content
- How to Build a Mobile To-Do App Step 2: Create the Pages
- How to Build a Mobile To-Do App Step 3: Improve the Look and Feel of the App
- How to Build a Mobile To-Do App Step 4: Add Logic to the Microflows
- How to Deploy Your First Hybrid Mobile App
- How to Publish a Mendix Hybrid Mobile App in Mobile App Stores
- Push Notifications