These are Mendix Studio release notes for app projects built with Desktop Modeler/Studio Pro version 7.23 and above. The release notes include all minor versions, patches, and known issues.
For more information on the correlation between Mendix Studio and Desktop Modeler/Mendix Studio Pro versions, see Studio Version & Mendix Version Correlation.
Previously, Mendix Studio was called the Mendix Web Modeler. With Mendix 8, the Mendix Desktop Modeler was renamed to Mendix Studio Pro.
For Studio release notes correlated with Desktop Modeler versions 7.15–7.22, see 7.15–7.22.
For Studio release notes correlated with Desktop Modeler versions 7.11–7.14, see 7.11–7.14.
For updates on the operational status of Studio as well as deployment features and other Mendix services, see Mendix Status.
July 12th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.0.0 Beta 3.
- In the page editor, you can now use the Drop Down widget as an input widget for selecting both enumerations and associations. For the associations, the Reference Selector widget was required before. Now, the Drop Down widget can be used in all cases. This improvement was based on user feedback and makes building data input pages easier and faster.
- We made the following improvements for App from a spreadsheet:
- You can now horizontally scroll tab pages in the Data Import Preview screen (useful when a spreadsheet with many sheets is selected as a starting point).
- We increased the maximum size of spreadsheets that can be imported in Studio to 500 KB.
- For apps started from a spreadsheet, we fixed the issue where importing data was failing when header names in the spreadsheet were very long.
- For the Checks panel, we fixed the following issues:
- Selecting an error did not scroll the page editor or microflow editor to the related widget or activity, but resulted in an error pop-up window.
- When previewing or publishing the app, the Checks panel did not display anything the first time consistency errors were reported.
June 28th, 2019
- To speed up the process of consistency error solving and to make it easier for you, the page editor will now scroll to the selected widget if it is not visible when you select a consistency error in the Checks panel.
- Custom widgets will now have a more relevant name instead of the generic “customWidget1”. This is particularly helpful when you fix consistency errors: you can now quickly understand what custom widget an error refers to.
- We fixed an issue where a container widget could no longer be selected after removing its contents.
- We fixed an issue where special characters in a spreadsheet preview were displayed as question marks.
June 24th, 2019
On pages, you can now quickly configure the most important properties of many widgets. Simply drag and drop a widget on a page and configure properties in a pop-up window. This feature not only saves your time but also helps you avoid consistency errors. For more information, the Quick Configuration of Widget Properties section in Widgets.
- We made the following improvement for App from a spreadsheet (for more information on how to create an app with your own data, see Starting With Your Own Data):
- We improved generating entities from your spreadsheet. Now if a worksheet has only one column, Studio will not create associations with it to avoid creating entities without any attributes.
- When you import an empty spreadsheet, you can now try again and import another spreadsheet.
For more information on how to create an app with your own data, see Starting With Your Own Data.
- We fixed an issue where the Preview button resulted in an error message in case consistency errors were detected.
- We fixed an issue where deleting an association used for filtering data on pages or in microflows showed no error message in filters.
- We fixed an issue where Studio created custom widgets with a wrong configuration, causing the “please update your custom widget” consistency error.
- We fixed an issue where the Edge browser was not be able to load the page editor.
June 14th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.0.0 Beta 2.
June 6th, 2019
- You can now start an app based on a spreadsheet. Mendix Studio will generate a fully functional app based on your data! The data of the spreadsheet will be analyzed and converted into entities, attributes, and associations. Also, pages and navigation items based on your data can be created. Click Create App and select App from a spreadsheet in the Developer Portal to get started. This is a great way to jump-start your app. It saves you time so that you can focus immediately on extending and tailoring the app to best fit your needs. For more information, see Starting With Your Own Data in the Studio Guide.
- We fixed an issue where first time users were not able to continue the guided introduction tour after the first step.
- We fixed an issue where the Properties tab of a list view with filters resulted in an error if the entity used as the list view’s data source was deleted.
- We fixed an issue where updating a custom widget package did not correctly update all the widgets in it.
May 24th, 2019
- To assist you in fixing consistency error, the link to documentation was added to the Checks panel. For more information on the Checks panel, see Checks in the Studio Guide.
To prevent you from creating data filters with consistency errors, we added validation in filters. That means that a filter with errors cannot be saved and you will immediately see what the error is. For more information, see Data Filters in the Studio Guide.
- We fixed an issue where Studio could not load custom widgets for apps with model versions 7.23.4 and below.
May 17th, 2019
Mendix Studio now configures the security of any app that you create. That means your data is protected from public access and visible only for users whom you grant access. Moreover, you can configure different roles for different users so that you can optimize the user experience, making sure each user sees exactly what you want them to see. How does this work? When you publish your app to the Mendix cloud for the first time, Mendix Studio will auto-configure security so that your data stays secure right from the start. The result is that any user that wants to access your app must use login credentials or will be logged in automatically in case your platform administrator has configured a single sign-on experience for Mendix apps.
Auto-configuring security will be done for all apps with Mendix version 7.23.3 and higher that are accessed in Mendix Studio. For more information, see the following documents:
- For citizen developers: read how to use security and app roles in Security, Roles & Permissions in the Studio Guide
- For professional developers: read the details of model changes that are applied when Mendix Studio auto-configures security settings in Model Changes When Security Is Enabled in Studio in the Studio Pro Guide
May 10th, 2019
You are now able to preview your app without publishing it. The Preview feature allows you to to verify your own changes and to see how your app will look like for different end-users, without changing the published app in the cloud. As it has a different environment from the published app, you can use the Preview to experiment with changes and test them. While building your app, simply click Preview to see the effects of your changes. Studio will show you the working app instantly, so that you can see your changes straight away. Studio will also assist you in checking for any consistency errors. Then, when you are ready to share your changes with users of your app, click Publish to push the latest version of your app to the cloud. For more information, see Previewing & Publishing Your App in the Mendix Studio Guide.
We have made it very easy to configure filters when showing and retrieving data in your app. In microflows, you can add a filter to the Retrieve activity, and in the page editor, it is possible to filter data in a list view and in a data grid. For more information, see Data Filters in the Mendix Studio Guide.
- To avoid confusion, we changed naming of variables and objects in the microflow editor. Previously, the term “variable” could be used in different ways: as a name for a list of objects or as an object itself. This has now been cleared.
- To improve the user experience of the microflow editor, we added more tooltips for activity properties, so that users are better informed on the available options and related behavior.
- We fixed an issue where app publishing was not working in Studio for newly created apps.
May 2nd, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.0.0 Beta 1.
April 12th, 2019
- To improve collaboration between Studio users, users that are in the read-only mode can see the changes made by the other Studio user in real-time without the need to refresh the browser page.
March 29th, 2019
We replaced the sync process between Studio and Studio Pro with a new, simplified, process of sharing model changes. You can enable it for apps with Mendix version 7.23.3 and above to experience true collaborative development within your team. All changes made in Studio are auto-saved, and Studio Pro users get these changes when they click Update or Commit. For more information, see Collaborative Development in Version Control and Collaborative Development in Studio in the Studio Guide. For information on how to migrate to the new process, see Migration From the Sync Process to Collaborative Development.
Existing projects with Mendix version 7.23.2 or below can continue using Sync with Studio until September 2019.
You can now use a data grid on your pages. A data grid is a data container that shows a list of objects in a table. For example, a data grid can show all the program items for an event, users can search, add, delete items and perform other functions depending on the settings. For more information, see Data Grid.
In the page editor, you can now use the Association data source for a list view and a data grid. The list view or data grid is filled with the objects linked to the data view object by an association. For example, you can show all orderlines for a customer. This data source is available when the list view/data grid is placed inside another data container, for example, a data view.
We added support for Studio Pro 7.23.3.
- We fixed an issue where a custom widget was not correctly shown in the Toolbox of the page editor, if this widget no longer existed in a newer package on the App Store.
March 15th, 2019
To speed up the process of creating pages, Pre-fill page contents based on the
<name>entity is now checked by default when creating a new page with an entity.
March 8th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 7.23.2.