apps with Mendix versions 8.0-8.6 are no longer supported in Studio and will be prompted to perform an auto-upgrade to the latest Mendix 8 version.
These are the Mendix Studio release notes for apps built with Studio Pro version 8.0–8.6. The release notes include all minor versions, patches, and known issues.
For Studio release notes correlated with the Studio Pro versions 7.11-7.23, see 7.11-7.23.
For more information on the correlation between Mendix Studio and Desktop Modeler/Mendix Studio Pro versions, see Studio Ranges & Mendix Versions.
For updates on the operational status of Studio as well as deployment features and other Mendix services, see Mendix Status.
Upgrading from Mendix Version 7 to 8
Mendix version 8 brings many improvements to the platform, however, this release contains changes that cannot be upgraded automatically using the regular Studio upgrade mechanism. This means that if you want to upgrade your existing app to Mendix version 8 can only do so in Studio Pro or by involving developers familiar with Studio Pro. For more information on upgrading to Mendix version 8, see the Upgrading to Mendix version 8 section in Studio Ranges & Mendix Versions and Moving from Desktop Modeler Version 7 to Studio Pro 8.
January 28th, 2021
- We removed Studio support for apps with Mendix versions 8.0-8.6. Apps based on these versions will be notified to perform an auto-upgrade to the latest Mendix 8 version.
February 24th, 2020
It is now possible to copy and paste pages and microflows between Studio apps, which will considerably speed up the process of app building. You can also duplicate pages or microflows:
For more information on copy/paste function and its limitations, see the Copy/Paste Pages and Microflows section in General Info.
February 17th, 2020
- We fixed an issue in the domain model editor where no warning was shown in the properties when using incorrect name for entities, attributes, or associations (for example, when you used spaced in a name).
- We fixed an issue where you got a timeout error if your PC went to the sleep mode.
- We fixed an issue where deleting a custom widget resulted in a warning.
February 10th, 2020
We added support for Studio Pro 8.6.
To speed up app building for you, we added possibility to duplicate and delete pages and microflows from the side panel:
In the page editor, we enhanced capabilities of the layout grid, rows, and columns by adding new settings to them. The new layout grid helps you to build any kind of layout quicker. Changes can be outlined as following:
You can easily influence column width now, which gives you more flexibility to adjust the layout to your content or to a device type:
You can vertically align all columns in a row or vertically align an individual column:
You can change the column width or add new columns right on-canvas:
For more information on the layout grid, rows and columns properties, see Structure.
- We renamed drop down to drop-down for consistency within our platform.
January 27th, 2020
For better collaboration between Studio and Studio Pro, we now display images set in Studio Pro as icons on such widgets as buttons or menus.
In the App from a spreadsheet, you can now export your data to Excel in one click from the Manage_Data page:
- Previously if another user clicked Take Over and made changes in the Theme Customizer, these changes were not saved. This issue is fixed now.
- We fixed an issue in the page editor where data was not filtered for File and Image entities. For more information on data filters, see Data Filters.
January 7th, 2020
- For a better user experience when starting an App from a spreadsheet , we improved the following:
- If the import of your spreadsheet failed, you no longer have to create a new app, but you can try to import another spreadsheet or import the same one again
- If you chose to not generate pages from your data, the guidance will encourage you to create pages instead of previewing your app
- We fixed an issue where adding custom widgets to the page resulted in a consistency error that the widget was outdated.
- We fixed an issue in the Start Your First App app where the guidance did not go to the next step after you previewed the app.
December 27th, 2019
- For a better user experience in the microflow editor, we improved the process of deleting activities: when you delete an activity in a microflow, the next activity after it is selected instead of the microflow itself. If you delete the last activity in a flow, the previous one is selected.
- We fixed an issue where neither the page editor nor the Widget Overview were loading if a custom widget package contained a space.
December 20th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.5.
- We fixed an issue in the domain model where copy-pasting a file or image entity resulted in a consistency error.
- We fixed an issue in the App from a spreadsheet where the import failed if the association name was too long.
December 13th, 2019
- We fixed an issue in Widget Overview where the list of widgets in a package got cut off.
- We fixed an issue where it was no longer possible to add building blocks to apps that have Mendix version from 8.0.0 to 8.2.2.
- We fixed an issue where the upgrade dialog linked to the old version of the documentation.
December 6th, 2019
- We fixed an issue in the App from a spreadsheet where due to Studio not initially setting the correct types for values, importing the data from a spreadsheet failed.
- We fixed an issue where creating a feedback item from the Buzz tab in Studio failed.
November 29th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.4.
- When you enable Security in Studio, it will install the Mendix SSO module instead of the AppCloudServices module, because the AppCloudServices module has been deprecated, and enabling sign sign-on is now managed by the Mendix SSO module. If you previously enabled security for your app, no action is required, your app will keep running. For more technical information on the model changes that happen when you enable security, see Model Changes When Security Is Enabled in Studio.
- For better search results in the page editor, the Toolbox supports additional search terms now. For example, if you type in table in the Toolbox search bar, the search result will give you Data grid and Structure widgets, because they have the form of a table.
- In the breadcrumb of the page editor, we renamed Navigation Layout to Layout to be consistent in terms throughout Studio and to avoid confusion.
- We fixed an issue in the App from a spreadsheet where the preview failed after deleting/editing an entity with an association
- We fixed an issue in the App from a spreadsheet where the guidance tour crashed.
November 22nd, 2019
- We fixed an issue in the Navigation Document where it was not possible to create a new entity if the Create Object setting was enabled.
November 15th, 2019
Now you can create an association just by drawing a line between two entities: in the domain model editor, simply drag a dot from one entity to another, and an arrow (association) between two entities will be created automatically. This will make the process of creating associations faster. If you click a dot on an entity and hold it for a couple of seconds, a plus icon appears. By clicking this icon you can create a new entity with an association from the first entity.
You can now show a calculated value for individual data grid columns, using the Aggregate Function property With this property, you can calculate a sum, count, average, minimum, or maximum value that will be calculated and shown at the bottom of the data grid column. For example, you can display the total number of orders of a customer:
Aggregate Function is only available for columns with attributes of type Decimal, Integer, and Long.
- We fixed an issue where a full-screen error was shown when the loading or reloading of Studio took too much time.
November 8th, 2019
We added the Page View feature to the Theme Customizer. With Page View, you can select any page from your app and preview your new style on it. This feature will help you customize apps faster and will visualize your changes right away:
For more information, see Theme Customizer.
The Page View feature is in Beta. This means there might be changes to this feature. For more information on Beta features, see Mendix Beta Features.
- We fixed an issue in the page editor where the pop-up window for selecting an icon (for example, when you select an icon for a button) did not show icon previews.
- We fixed an issue where associations were not auto-renamed correctly in case the entity name was changed.
November 1st, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.3.
- We fixed an issue where inline editing of an entity name did not change the name.
October 25th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.2.2.
For a better user experience, we improved column generation for a data grid. Now when creating a data grid from an entity with more than eight attributes, a dialog box appears to let you choose whether columns should be generated for all attributes or only several ones:
- The old process of syncing Studio and Studio Pro called Sync with Studio is no longer available and has been entirely replaced by new collaborative development capabilities that allow you to easily synchronize changes. Collaborative development is available if your project has Mendix version 7.23.3 or above. This means that you cannot sync your changes between Studio and Studio Pro if your project has Mendix version 7.23.2 or below. You will still be able to open your project in Studio. However, to sync changes between Studio and Studio Pro, the app must be upgraded to version 7.23.3 or above in Studio Pro.
October 15th, 2019
Associations are now renamed automatically when you rename entities in the domain model. This makes the process of implementing changes to the domain model much easier and faster.
To improve the user experience, we made columns in the Checks panel sortable. Now you can sort the errors per error code, element, etc.
For better navigability, a homepage icon is displayed in a list of pages or microflows against a page/microflow that is set as a homepage in the Navigation Document:
October 4th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.2.0.
For better user experience you are now upgraded automatically from Mendix 8 Beta versions to the latest Mendix 8 version instead of being upgraded to Mendix 8.0.0 General Availability version.
You can now use Name and Size attributes of an Image entity and a File entity in the microflow expressions and page editor data filters. This improvement allows you to build more powerful apps. For more information on Image and File entities, see the Types of Entities section in Domain Models.
To help you fix consistency errors faster, we implemented the following:
- Added descriptions on how to fix errors CE0548 and CE0552 to documentation and added links to this documentation
- Rewrote texts for errors CE1573 and CE1574 to make them clearer
- We fixed an issue where an empty enumeration value crashed Studio. Now empty enumeration values are no longer allowed.
September 23rd, 2019
We introduced new types of entities in the domain model: an Image Entity and a File Entity:
They will allow you to build more powerful apps with Studio. An image entity stores an image, and a file entity stores a file. For example, on pages, with the help of these entities end-users will be able to upload and/or download different files. For more information on entities and their types, see the Types of Entities section in Domain Models.
In the page editor toolbox, we added new widgets that use an image entity or a file entity: an Image Uploader and a File Manager. These widgets use an image entity (Image Uploader) or a file entity (File Manager) as their data source and allow end-users to upload and download images and files. For example, users can upload a picture for their profile or download a document stored in the app. For more information on properties of these widgets, see Image and File Widgets.
September 6th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.1.0.
- We fixed an issue where the link to the release notes in the upgrade top-bar pointed to Studio Pro version 7 release notes instead of version 8.
August 30th, 2019
To prevent consistency errors and help you build your app even faster, it is now impossible to create two or more entities with the same name, or two or more associations with the same name. Also, an entity cannot have attributes with identical names. If you try to use the same name, it will get an underscore and a numeric postfix after its name. For example, if you already have an entity named Customer and try to create another entity with this name, it will get a name Customer_1. The next duplicate will be named Customer_2, etc.
To improve user experience for your end-users, the Date Picker widget has formatting options in its properties now. You can select between Date, Time, Date & Time, and Custom formats and see examples of how they will be displayed in the Format Example.
The custom format can only be configured in Studio Pro.
For better search results, the Toolbox supports additional search terms now. For example, if you type in Reference selector in the Toolbox search bar, the search result will give you the Drop-Down widget, because previously Drop-Down was called Reference Selector.
August 9th, 2019
To make the page editor more user-friendly, we unified column and layout widgets under new Structure category in Toolbox > Widgets. Now all widgets that provide structure to your page are located in one category:
You can now open Mendix Studio in the Chrome browser on Chromebooks.
You no longer need to download an app for view your app on a mobile device. You can scan a QR-code with your mobile device or open a link on your mobile browser.
August 2nd, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.0.0 General Availability. Now newly created apps in Studio will have Mendix version 8.
To improve user experience, we added error codes to consistency errors in the Checks panel and improved Studio specific messages for a number of errors. You can navigate to the corresponding documentation (if available) by clicking the error code. Error codes will help you identify an error easily when asking about it in the Mendix Forum or when turning to Mendix Support.
To make the microflow editor more user-friendly, Exclusive split is now called Decision. The new name better illustrates what this element does: it makes a decision which flow a microflow should take depending on a condition.