These are Mendix Studio release notes for app projects built with Desktop Modeler/Studio Pro version 7.23 and above. The release notes include all minor versions, patches, and known issues.
For Studio release notes correlated with the Studio Pro version 7.23, see 7.23.
For more information on the correlation between Mendix Studio and Desktop Modeler/Mendix Studio Pro versions, see Studio Ranges & Mendix Versions.
For updates on the operational status of Studio as well as deployment features and other Mendix services, see Mendix Status.
Upgrading from Mendix Version 7 to 8
Mendix version 8 brings many improvements to the platform, however, this release contains changes that cannot be upgraded automatically using the regular Studio upgrade mechanism. This means that if you want to upgrade your existing app to Mendix version 8 can only do so in Studio Pro or by involving developers familiar with Studio Pro. For more information on upgrading to Mendix version 8, see the Upgrading to Mendix version 8 section in Studio Ranges & Mendix Versions and Moving from Desktop Modeler Version 7 to Studio Pro 8.
November 15th, 2019
Now you can create an association just by drawing a line between two entities: in the domain model editor, simply drag a dot from one entity to another, and an arrow (association) between two entities will be created automatically. This will make the process of creating associations faster. If you click a dot on an entity and hold it for a couple of seconds, a plus icon appears. By clicking this icon you can create a new entity with an association from the first entity.
You can now show a calculated value for individual data grid columns, using the Aggregate Function property With this property, you can calculate a sum, count, average, minimum, or maximum value that will be calculated and shown at the bottom of the data grid column. For example, you can display the total number of orders of a customer:
Aggregate Function is only available for columns with attributes of type Decimal, Integer, and Long.
- We fixed an issue where a full-screen error was shown when the loading or reloading of Studio took too much time.
November 8th, 2019
We added the Page View feature to the Theme Customizer. With Page View, you can select any page from your app and preview your new style on it. This feature will help you customize apps faster and will visualize your changes right away:
For more information, see Theme Customizer.
The Page View feature is in beta. This means there might be changes to this feature. For more information on beta features, see Mendix Beta Features.
- We fixed an issue in the page editor where the pop-up window for selecting an icon (for example, when you select an icon for a button) did not show icon previews.
- We fixed an issue where associations were not auto-renamed correctly in case the entity name was changed.
November 1st, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.3.
- We fixed an issue where inline editing of an entity name did not change the name.
October 25th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.2.2.
For a better user experience, we improved column generation for a data grid. Now when creating a data grid from an entity with more than eight attributes, a dialog window appears to let you choose whether columns should be generated for all attributes or only several ones:
- The old process of syncing Studio and Studio Pro called Sync with Studio is no longer available and has been entirely replaced by new collaborative development capabilities that allow you to easily synchronize changes. Collaborative development is available if your project has Mendix version 7.23.3 or above. This means that you cannot sync your changes between Studio and Studio Pro if your project has Mendix version 7.23.2 or below. You will still be able to open your project in Studio. However, to sync changes between Studio and Studio Pro, the app must be upgraded to version 7.23.3 or above in Studio Pro.
October 15th, 2019
Associations are now renamed automatically when you rename entities in the domain model. This makes the process of implementing changes to the domain model much easier and faster.
To improve the user experience, we made columns in the Checks panel sortable. Now you can sort the errors per error code, element, etc.
For better navigability, a homepage icon is displayed in a list of pages or microflows against a page/microflow that is set as a homepage in the Navigation Document:
October 4th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.2.0.
For better user experience you are now upgraded automatically from Mendix 8 beta versions to the latest Mendix 8 version instead of being upgraded to Mendix 8.0.0 General Availability version.
You can now use Name and Size attributes of an Image entity and a File entity in the microflow expressions and page editor data filters. This improvement allows you to build more powerful apps. For more information on Image and File entities, see the Types of Entities section in Domain Models.
To help you fix consistency errors faster, we implemented the following:
- Added descriptions on how to fix errors CE0548 and CE0552 to documentation and added links to this documentation
- Rewrote texts for errors CE1573 and CE1574 to make them clearer
- We fixed an issue where an empty enumeration value crashed Studio. Now empty enumeration values are no longer allowed.
September 23rd, 2019
We introduced new types of entities in the domain model: an Image Entity and a File Entity:
They will allow you to build more powerful apps with Studio. An image entity stores an image, and a file entity stores a file. For example, on pages, with the help of these entities end-users will be able to upload and/or download different files. For more information on entities and their types, see the Types of Entities section in Domain Models.
In the page editor toolbox, we added new widgets that use an image entity or a file entity: an Image Uploader and a File Manager. These widgets use an image entity (Image Uploader) or a file entity (File Manager) as their data source and allow end-users to upload and download images and files. For example, users can upload a picture for their profile or download a document stored in the app. For more information on properties of these widgets, see Image and File Widgets.
September 6th, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.1.0.
- We fixed an issue where the link to the release notes in the upgrade top-bar pointed to Studio Pro version 7 release notes instead of version 8.
August 30th, 2019
To prevent consistency errors and help you build your app even faster, it is now impossible to create two or more entities with the same name, or two or more associations with the same name. Also, an entity cannot have attributes with identical names. If you try to use the same name, it will get an underscore and a numeric postfix after its name. For example, if you already have an entity named Customer and try to create another entity with this name, it will get a name Customer_1. The next duplicate will be named Customer_2, etc.
To improve user experience for your end-users, the Date Picker widget has formatting options in its properties now. You can select between Date, Time, Date & Time, and Custom formats and see examples of how they will be displayed in the Format Example.
The custom format can only be configured in Studio Pro.
For better search results, the Toolbox supports additional search terms now. For example, if you type in Reference selector in the Toolbox search bar, the search result will give you the Drop Down widget, because previously Drop Down was called Reference Selector.
August 9th, 2019
To make the page editor more user-friendly, we unified column and layout widgets under new Structure category in Toolbox > Widgets. Now all widgets that provide structure to your page are located in one category:
You can now open Mendix Studio in the Chrome browser on Chromebooks.
You no longer need to download an app for view your app on a mobile device. You can scan a QR-code with your mobile device or open a link on your mobile browser.
August 2nd, 2019
- We added support for Studio Pro 8.0.0 General Availability. Now newly created apps in Studio will have Mendix version 8.
To improve user experience, we added error codes to consistency errors in the Checks panel and improved Studio specific messages for a number of errors. You can navigate to the corresponding documentation (if available) by clicking the error code. Error codes will help you identify an error easily when asking about it in the Mendix Forum or when turning to Mendix Support.
To make the microflow editor more user-friendly, Exclusive split is now called Decision. The new name better illustrates what this element does: it makes a decision which flow a microflow should take depending on a condition.