Use the Create Branch Line dialog window to create a new branch line via the Branch Line Manager:
To view the Create Branch Line dialog window, do the following:
- Open Version Control > Manage Branch Lines.
- In the Branch Line Manager, click New.
The Create Branch Line dialog window is displayed.
For more information on how to manage branch lines, see the Managing Development Lines in Studio Pro section in Collaborative Development and Branch Line Manager. For information on the version control, see Version Control.
2 Create Branch From
Create branch from allows you to choose the development line you want to create the branch line from. You can choose one of the following options:
- Main line – generally you would want to select Main line if you want to develop a large feature independently of the main line
- Branch line – allows you to create a branch line from another branch line
- Tagged version – if you are doing maintenance on a deployed version you probably want to select a tagged version
Select from which revision of the main line or a branch line you want to create a branch line. Often, you would want to choose the most recent version.
4 Branch Line
This setting is only available when you select Branch line in Create branch from.
Select from which branch line you want to create another branch line. We recommend that you make branch lines only from the main line but in some cases branching a branch line can be useful.
5 Tagged Version
This setting is only available when you select Tagged version in Create branch from.
Select from which tagged version you want to create a branch line. Every time you create a deployment archive a tag is created so that you can always refer back to that version of the project.
6 Branch Name
Enter a name of the new branch line.
7 Existing Branch Lines
Since branch line names must be unique, this option shows the existing branch lines, so that you do not accidentally create a branch line with the same name.