Besides boasting native functionality, another major advantage of a hybrid mobile apps is that you only need to go through the approval process once. Updates after the approval process only require a new deployment of your app in the Mendix cloud.
This how-to will teach you how to do the following:
- Open a hybrid example app
- Install the app on your device
Before starting this how-to, make sure you have completed the following prerequisites:
- Install the hybrid Mendix mobile app on you device, which makes it easy to see a hybrid application in action without the need to get it approved in the Mendix Marketplace (for details and download links, see Getting the Mendix App in the Studio Pro Guide)
3 Opening a Hybrid Example App
To open a hybrid example app, follow these steps:
- Open Mendix Studio Pro, clikc New App, and under the Starter Apps tab click Blank App.
- Click the Use this starting point button.
- Adjust your configurations (be sure to keep Enable online services > Yes selected) and then click Create app.
Click Run to deploy this application to the Mendix Cloud:
Studio Pro will notify you as soon as the application is deployed. While you wait, go to Navigation, click the Hybrid phone app online tab, and make sure your Default home page is set to MyFirstModule.Dashboard.
Click the small arrow to open the View App menu and select View Hybrid Mobile App:
This will open the View Hybrid Mobile App pop-up window:
Open the hybrid Mendix mobile app on your device and tap Scan QR Code:
Scan the QR code on the screen with your hybrid Mendix mobile app:
You should see the example application running on your device.
4 Installing the App on Your Device
If you want to install this application as a native mobile app on your device, you can install it via iTunes or publish it to one of the mobile app stores. For details on how to achieve this, see How to Publish a Mendix Hybrid Mobile App in App Stores.