This document presents the system requirements for the various parts of the Mendix Platform.
2 Mendix Studio Pro
Mendix Studio Pro version 9 is supported on 64-bit versions of Windows 10 release 1803 and above.
The following frameworks are automatically installed (if necessary):
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 and all applicable Windows security patches
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package
- AdoptOpenJDK 11 or Oracle JDK 11 (the former is installed automatically as of Mendix 8.0.0 if you do not have any JDK 11 installed)
You can choose which JDK is used for building and running locally via the Edit > Preferences menu item in Studio Pro.
Please note the limitation that the database viewer built into Studio Pro (as described in How to Share the Development Database) does not work with JDK 11.06 or 11.07.
2.1 Firewall Settings
Studio Pro needs access to the following URLs in order to work. If your firewall is currently blocking these, you will need to whitelist them.
If you want to use TortoiseSVN in combination with Studio Pro, download the latest version from the TortoiseSVN website.
Mendix Studio Pro uses the Subversion 1.9 working copy. Previous versions of the Mendix Desktop Modeler used a Subversion 1.7 working copy. These working copy versions are not compatible.
Always use the version of TortoiseSVN which matches your app model. If you open a local model from Mendix version 7.x or 6.x with the latest version of TortoiseSVN you will no longer be able to open it in Mendix.
3 Team Server
The Team Server is implemented using Subversion, and Studio Pro uses the HTTPS protocol to communicate with that server. To access the Team Server from within Studio Pro, the network at your location needs the following settings:
- The HTTPS port (TCP 443) needs to be open
- The HTTP port (TCP 80) needs to be open
- WebDAV (verbs within the HTTP protocol) needs to be enabled on the proxy server (if any)
4 Mendix Studio
Mendix Studio is optimized for use with Google Chrome. While Chrome is the officially supported browser, you can also use Mendix Studio with other popular browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
5 Cloud Foundry
The Mendix Cloud Foundry buildpack supports Cloud Foundry versions v9 and above.
The Mendix Docker buildpack supports Docker version 18.09.0 and above.
The Mendix Docker buildpack supports the following Kubernetes versions:
- Kubernetes version v1.12 and above
- Redhat Openshift v3.11 and v4.2 and above
7.1 Operating System
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 and above
- Debian 8 (Jessie) and above
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- CentOS 6, CentOS 7
7.2 Web Server
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 7 and above
- Nginx (tested with versions included in Debian Jessie and Debian Jessie Backports)
When running Mendix on a server, you will need Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 11. To download an OpenJDK distribution from AdoptOpenJDK, see AdoptOpenJDK Installation. To download a commercial Oracle distribution, see Java SE Downloads.
There is an issue since Java 7 that causes timeouts when using web services with a certain amount of data. You can circumvent this issue by adding the VM params
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true. Mendix Studio Pro will do this for you, but if you are running Mendix on premises on a Windows server, you will need to do this yourself. For more information about this issue, see HotSpot (64bit server) hangs on socket read (JVM 1.7 bug?) - updated and Possible Bug in Java 7.
Mendix tries to support the most recent and patched database server versions from database vendors. We aim to add support for a new vendor version two minor Mendix versions after the vendor has released it. Dropping support for a database will be announced in the release notes at the date the vendor drops support. We will drop support two minor Mendix versions later.
- IBM DB2 11.1 for Linux, Unix, and Windows
- MariaDB 10.2, 10.3
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016, 2017, 2019
- Azure SQL v12 compatibility mode 130 or higher
- MySQL 8.0
- Oracle Database 18, 19
- PostgreSQL 9.5, 9.6, 10, 11, 12, 13
- SAP HANA 2.00.040.00.1545918182
Each app should have its own database. Mendix apps cannot share data by sharing the same database.
9 File Storage
9.1 Storage Services for Containers
For container-based deployments using Docker, Kubernetes, or Cloud Foundry, the following storage services are supported:
- AWS S3
- Azure Blob Storage
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- SAP AWS S3 Object Storage
- SAP Azure Blob Storage
For container-mounted storage in Kubernetes, provided by an external storage class, see also Run Mendix on Kubernetes.
9.2 Storage Types for Servers
For server-based installations, the following storage types mounted by the OS are supported:
- Local Storage
- Google Chrome (latest stable desktop and Android versions)
- Mozilla Firefox (latest stable desktop version)
- Apple Safari (latest stable desktop version and latest version for each supported iOS version)
- Microsoft Edge (latest stable desktop version)
11 Mobile Operating Systems
For Mendix native apps, hybrid apps, and the Mendix Mobile app the following operating systems are supported:
- Latest two major versions of iOS
- Android 5.0 and above
11.1 Hybrid Apps Preview
Using a hybrid preview feature is not the same as testing an app on a phone or simulator. A hybrid preview only shows a resized view of an app to give an impression of what that app might look like on a mobile device. Some hybrid app functionality will not be supported in this browser view. Full tests always need to be done on a device or emulator. Offline apps can only be previewed in Google Chrome.
Hybrid apps cannot be tested in Android Emulator, only on a real device.
MxBuild is a Windows and Linux command-line tool that can be used to build a Mendix Deployment Package. For more information, see MxBuild.
- Mono v5.20.x or .NET v4.7.2
- JDK 11
13 mx Command-Line Tool
The mx command-line tool is a Windows and Linux command-line tool that can be used to do useful things with your Mendix app project. For more information, see mx Command-Line Tool.
- Mono v5.20.x or .NET v4.7.2